Frequently Asked Questions
1. My childs keyboard is not working correctly, what do I do?Some students can inadvertantly enable "Sticky Keys". Sticky Keys is an accessibility feature that causes modifier keys to remain active, even after they were pressed and released, making it easier to use keyboard shortcuts. The Sticky Keys feature helps alleviate some stress on your fingers by not having to press and hold keys to use shortcut key combinations. You only need to press and release a modifier key, like Ctrl, Alt, or Shift, then press the next key for the keyboard shortcut.To Enable or Disable Sticky Keys
- At the bottom right, select the time. Or press Alt + Shift + s.
- Select Settings .
- At the bottom, select Advanced.
- In the "Accessibility" section, select Manage accessibility features.
- To perform keyboard shortcuts by entering them sequentially, under "Keyboard," turn on or off Enable sticky keys.
2. How do I access my childs Google Classroom?
Begin by contacting your childs teacher. Your childs teacher must invite you to join their Google Classroom. More information can be found at the following link: https://support.google.com/edu/classroom/answer/6388136?hl=en
3. How do I view my childs Google Calendar?
Your child can share their calendar with you. Instructions on how to do this can be found at the following link: https://support.google.com/calendar/answer/37100?co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop&hl=en
4. My child is having an issue with their Chromebook what do we do?
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org and a member of the Technology Department will contact you to diagnose the issue.
5. My child physically damaged their Chromebook what do we do?
Please email email@example.com and a member of the Technology Department will contact you to perform an exchange or repair.
6. How do I connect my childs Chromebook to my home wifi?
- At the bottom right, select the time.
- Select Not Connected .
Note: If you see your Wi-Fi network name and a signal strength, your Chromebook is already connected to Wi-Fi.
- Turn on Wi-Fi.
- Your Chromebook will automatically look for available networks and show them to you in a list.
7. My child lost their Chromebook and/or Charger what should I do?
Please complete and submit the Lost Technology Equipment Form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSc2wB_qY3GlXEcfPl-397sJDTPH_Vvsw93bgGDcveAxWerHmw/viewform
8. How do I get a Parent/Guardian PowerSchool account?
Please contact the main office of your childs school building. They will be able to verify your identity and mail you a letter with an activation code. If you schedule an appointment the main office should also be able to provide you this letter in person.
9. What does a Parent/Guaridan PowerSchool account give me access to?
- Summary of Current Grades and Attendance.
- Detail Report Showing Assignment Scores for Each Class.
- Detail Report of Attendance.
- School Announcements
- Teachers email addresses
10. How do I get added to the district mass notification (Robocall, Robo Text, Robo Email) system?
Parent/Guardians are automatically added to the system based on the contact information they provided at registration. It is important to provide a valid phone number and email address. Each year parent/guaridans are asked to complete the returning student registration form located within the PowerSchool Parent/Guardian portal to review their existing information and make any changes.
11. How do I access Returning Student Registration to update my information.
When the parent portals are open login to your PowerSchool account and follow the directions in the attached link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yeRLeTUeaIA3vmxzrGlbZbbWyHHqYQYp/view?usp=sharing
12. How do I get off the robocall?
Opt-out Hotline 855-502-STOP (855-502-7867) Recipients can call the Blackboard Opt-out Hotline anytime to opt-out of informational calls or to opt-back into calls. The hotline is available in both English and Spanish and can be used even if no calls/texts have been placed to the recipient’s number.
13. Where can I learn more about Google (GSuite) for Education Tools?
14. My Chromebook drops from Google Meets frequently or appears to have an issue.
Try updating the operating system of your Chromebook to resolve the issue.
Manually check and install an update by following the directions below.
- Click the bottom right corner of the Chrome OS desktop.
- Select the Settings icon.
- Click About Chrome.
- Click Check for updates.
- To apply the update, click the arrow icon and select Restart to Update.
15. Will students have access to BCSD email and files after they leave the school district?
No, once a student leaves (transfer or graduates) from the district their account will be deactivated and they will no longer have access. Students will lose access to the BCSD GSuite for Education System including Gmail and Google Drive. To help make the transition out of the Beacon City School District easier the Technology Department has included tips and instructions below to help make the transition out of the district easier.Students may want to consider posting an automated "vacation responder" message to their email account to let people know what your new email address will be once you leave the Beacon City School District. This can be helpful if you are still expecting and/or receiving correspondence from colleges. You can also migrate your emails and drive files from your BCSD Google Account to a personal Google Account using the Google Takeout App. You never know when your previous research, essay, or presentation may be needed during your future studies. Instructions are linked here. A reminder if you own documents for a student club, you might want to transfer ownership to another student. Instructions are also listed below and linked here.16. The display on my childs Chromebook screen is upside down or sideways, what do I do?
- On your Chromebook keyboard, hold down Control + Shift + the circular arrow (in the top row of the keyboard)… this will rotate the screen 90 degrees.
- Press Control + Shift + the circular arrow again to keep rotating your screen… Repeat until it’s back in the right direction!