BCSD District News
October 25, 2018
Dear Beacon City School District Community Member:
At a recent meeting, the Beacon Board of Education endorsed a long-range planning process for the district that will result in a focused and aligned community vision of student success beyond school. The first step of this process is to build a consensus regarding the critical skills and attributes we believe are most essential to future accomplishments and to then use them to guide our planning and decision making.
To involve as many constituents as possible in this process, we would like to invite you to contribute your thoughts to a community conversation on this topic. Using a platform called Thoughtexchange, you have the opportunity to share your thoughts, then read those of other participants, and then to assign “stars” (from a low of 1 to a high of 5) to show how important each idea is to you. Finally, you will also have a chance to discover the top-rated thoughts in the conversation and visit the site often and add more comments throughout the process. The planning team will use the results of this Thoughtexchange to help them create “A Profile of the Graduate” that will define our working model of student success.
Notes about this process:
1. It could take you as little as 5 - 10 minutes to participate.
2. You can complete questions at your own pace and come back to review your answers at any time.
If you know someone else who would like to participate, you can forward this invitation.
If you need technical help, please call Thoughtexchange at 1-800-361-9027 ext. 4 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Participate in this exchange by using the following link: https://my.thoughtexchange.com/#713723496
Alternatively, you can also use the Thoughtexchange app on your iPhone (there is not an app for Android people like me) or go to thoughtexchange.com and enter the code 713-723-496
We hope that you will contribute to this interactive experience to help us ensure that we are reflecting the values and aspirations of our entire community while providing outstanding learning opportunities for our students. Thank you for taking the time to share what is important to you.
Dear Beacon City School District Community:
I am thrilled to be starting another school year in Beacon. It is such a distinct pleasure and privilege to be serving the Beacon community as the superintendent of schools. I cannot wait to see all of our students on Wednesday, September 5th!
My themes for the district this year focus on the ideas of Excellence, Equity, and Communication. With that in mind, here are some things I am excited about this school year, some of my goals for the year, and meet the teacher night dates for each school.
Things I am excited about for the upcoming year:
- Fourth grade instrumental music will begin for the first time ever later this fall as a result of the grant we won last June
- Rombout Middle School will have a fully 1:1 learning environment with every student receiving a Chromebook this fall
- Elementary students will experience Physical Education class every other day instead of two out of every six days
- Elementary class sizes are further reduced with the addition of three additional teachers
- Interactive teaching screens will be added to Rombout Middle School and Beacon High School
- Further planning and development of the Capital Project with construction the summer of 2019 on the Turf Athletic Field behind Beacon High School
My goals for the upcoming year:
- Create and facilitate a student advisory council for the district
- Create and facilitate a strategic planning process including forming a strategic planning advisory committee
- Increase and improve the quality of district communication in a variety of formats
- Help to create building and department leadership teams including the participation of parents and community members
- Facilitate equity leadership work in the district
- Maintain a high level of community and staff engagement through open forums, individual conversations, and online tools
I will be sharing more about these goals as the year progresses.
Meet the Teacher Nights
- September 12- Rombout Middle School
- September 13- JVF, Glenham, Sargent
- September 20- Beacon High School
- September 27- South Avenue
Have a great first day and a great year!
This is just a reminder we have early release times today, Thursday, November 15 due to parent conferences. Beacon High School will dismiss at 10:30, Rombout Middle School will dismiss at 11:15, and the elementary schools will dismiss at 12:15.
Due to the winter weather forecast for later today, there will be no parent conferences after 3:00 and school and district offices will be closed at 3:15. All afternoon and evening activities are canceled today including this evening's parent conferences. The makeup evening for tonight's parent conferences is Wednesday, November 28. Schools will be in touch in the next few days about how to reschedule for that night.
We will monitor the weather tonight and tomorrow and update you at around 5:20 am tomorrow about the status of school tomorrow.
Parent Teacher Conference Schedule 11/15/18 and 11/19/18
Dismissal 11/15 and 11/19BHS dismissal 10:30 amRMS dismissal 11:15 amElementary dismissal 12:15 pm.Afternoon Conference Time 11/15 and 11/19BHS 11:30 am- 2:00 pmRMS 12:15 pm - 2:45 pmElem 1:00pm - 3:30 pmEvening Conference 11/15/18 (all schools)5:00 pm - 8:00 pm
The next Board of Education Meeting
The next meeting of the Board of Education is on Monday, November 19, 2018 at 7:00 P.M.
The workshop will include presentations from the PPS Department, Glenham School, and JV Forrestal School
BOE Committee Meetings
Facilities and Operations: Wednesday, November 7, 2018, 7:00 P.M.
Public Relations, Advocacy, and Legislative: Wednesday, November 7, 2018 P.M.
Diversity Committee: Thursday, November 8, 2018, 8:15 P.M. Cancelled
Policy Committee: Wednesday, November 28, 2018 8:15 P.M.
All meetings are at the District Office.
Dutchess BOCES Capital Project Overview
The powerpoint at the link below was presented at the Board of Education meeting on October 22, 2018.
Voting in Beacon will take place on Tuesday, December 11, 2018 from 12:00 PM to 8:00 PM at the District Office Conference Room at 10 Education Drive.