Public Schools are dependent on local, state and federal funding, and regulated by laws and policies at each level of government. The Public Relations, Advocacy, & Legislative (PRAL) Committtee tracks legislation that will impact the district, and advocates for quality public education for all students.
What you can do:
1. Learn about education issues and legislation
- BCSD Board Statements
- Lower Hudson Education Coalition - Voter Voice
- Alliance for Quality Education Action Updates
- New York State School Boards Association - Advocacy Alerts
- Alliance for Quality Education - Legislative Priorities
- The New York State Education Department - Policy Guidance
2. Take action
- Find your representatives and send them a mass email with this helpful online tool: Lower Hudson Education Commission Advocacy System
- Send templated emails on target issues to state representatives: New York State School Boards Association Action Center
- Send emails to legislators with a letter template you can customize: Alliance for Quality Education Action Updates
- Write a letter to the editor and send it to local news outlets
- Organize a letter-writing campaign through social media.
- TIP: Short, solutions-oriented messages with a clear call to action are most effective.